Every ordinary person knows how troublesome it is to travel in a public vehicle. If you travel in the morning or the evening, then travelling becomes even more troublesome. Firstly, you will need to wait for a long to get a vehicle, then you need to shove yourself into an already overcrowded bus. And do not expect the shoving to stop with you even after you reach your destination.
To ease this annoying situation, many ride-hailing service providers are emerging to provide economical, easily accessible, comfortable and safe journeys to the locals. Many ride-hailing service providers these days, provide 24/7 safe and secure services, so you no longer need to be worried about getting home in time.
Here are some of the top-rated ride-hailing services that have gained popularity among the Nepali people.
With over 5 million+ downloads on the Google play store and a rating of 4.2 stars, ‘Pathao’ has overtaken every single ride-hailing service in Nepal. It is a Bangladeshi start-up founded in 2015; however, it officially started running in Nepal on 25th September 2018. With its cunningly captivating name, ‘Patho’ has managed to become a staple ride hiring service for the Nepali population.
Through the Pathao app, you can easily hire a bike or a taxi that charges you by the travelled distance. For a kilometre, Pathao imposes a charge of Rs. 15 and Rs. 25 in case of the bike ride and Rs. 100 and Rs. 39 in case of a cab ride. ‘A rupee per minute of a ride’ is also added to the net cost.
Hire a Pathao Ride Using the Following Steps Below:
- Install the app through the Google play store, log in and grant permission to access your location.
- At the top, you will see icons for bike and car, click the one you want.
- Search for your destination and click on confirm.
- Click on send pick up request then you will be picked up from your location after you get the vehicle.
Payment can be made in cash or by using online payment wallets like eSewa, Khalti etc.
To assure security to the customers and eliminate the possibility of misbehaviour from the riders, the company tracks every single ride by GPS in the actual time. ‘Pathao’ even allows its customers to share their live locations with friends. It provides service for the entire 24 hours and has also gotten the speed limit to 15 km/hr for daytime and 40km/hr at night time.
In Bangladesh, ‘Pathao’ provides additional services such as home deliveries, parcels, e-commerce delivery, etc. However, in Nepal, ‘Pathao’ currently only offers rides and food delivery services.
‘inDriver’ is an international ride-hailing service which was recently launched in Nepal on the 25th of May, 2022. Originally, founded in California, US on 24th June 2013 today inDriver has a massive market of its own. There are thousands of positive reviews, ratings of 4.6 stars and 100 million+ downloads, on the Google Play Store making it quite popular across the globe.
In this app, customers can choose their ride based on the driver’s ETA, price, rating and the type of vehicle as well. Unlike other ride-hailing service providers, the customer can negotiate with the driver about the price considering the distance, the passenger’s rating, pick-up location etc. Payment can either be made in cash or through online wallets.
Steps to hire a ride through inDriver:
- Download the inDriver app through Google Play Store and sign up yourself.
- Launch the app, enter your location and destination and select the vehicle of your preference.
- Also, enter the price you are willing to pay.
- Then the driver will approach you and offer their price.
- Once the negotiation is done, the driver will pick you up from your location.
To ensure customer security, inDriver prevents, detects and combats fraud, and unlawful behaviour and also takes action against any violation of its policies. It authenticates users, verifies the drivers and their vehicles and makes sure that all the security requirements are met and also investigates accidents and insurance claims.
‘Tootle’ is another popular Nepali ride-hailing service provider that has a rating of 3.0 stars in the Google Play Store. ‘Tootle’ took the appreciable initiative to minimize the problem of travelling by public vehicles in January 2017. It provides a two-wheeler ride service within Kathmandu valley. Now you can also use the ‘Tootle’ app in Pokhara as well.
Steps to hire a ride
- Install the Tootle app through the Google Play Store and log in.
- Select, confirm the destination and set the time of departure.
- As soon as the booking is made the Tootle partner contacts you and picks you up from your location at the departure time.
Payment can be made in cash or through Tootle balance that can be topped up via online wallets like eSewa, Khalti, IME pay etc. The service has been made available 24/7 since November 2019. Those who wish to make money can join using the Tootle Partner app and go through the process to get a job.
Tootle minimizes the travelling problem for the locals. However, there are a few problems with this ride-sharing service. ‘Tootle’ doesn’t ensure security like ‘Pathao’ does. It has not set a speed limit for its drivers hence, the service is not reliable. Furthermore, the customers need to be cautious about their well-being in case any problematic situation occurs.
Taximandu is a ride-hailing service provider launched in 2019 that provides taxi rides within Kathmandu valley only. It started with 3000 taxi drives and is in its growth phase. Apart from picking up and dropping off the customers, taximandu also offers other exceptional services like city tours and dropping the customers off outside the valley.
Steps to Hire a Ride
- Go to https://taximandu.com/ or install the Taximandu app.
- Click on book a cab and fill in the start and end point, date and time, car class and phone number.
- Agree on the terms and conditions and then click on book now.
- A licensed driver will then approach you through the app.
Taximandu hires licensed and professional drivers to ensure the security of the customers. Hence, you can rely on the app and hail a cab without any worry.
Easy Taxi Nepal/ Metro Online Taxi
It is clear from the name itself that Easy Taxi Nepal is a ride-hailing service that provides taxi ride service only. This ride-hailing service provider was founded in collaboration with Uptyaka Taxi Bewasahi Tatha Chalak Sewa Samaj. More than 5000 taxis are available in this app making it the largest taxi booking services provider in Nepal.
Steps to Book a Taxi:
- Go to https://easytaxinepal.com/#icanPopup or install the app.
- Scroll down then you will see two separate bars in which you have to enter your pick-up location and your drop-off destination.
- Click on find taxi, and through GPS the nearest taxi will pick you up.
Payment can be made in cash or through online wallets. GPS tracking not only finds you the nearest taxi but also ensures the security of the customers.
Sahara was founded in December of 2019 and was released officially in Play Store on the same date. Besides sharing rides, it also provides services like food delivery. Sahara is a taxi as well as bike ride-hailing service provider. Recently in January of 2022, it introduced its insurance policy for riders as well as customers.
Steps to Book a Ride:
- Get the Sahara app through the Google Play Store and sign yourself up.
- As soon as you open the app you will see the bike, cab and food delivery options.
- Click on either one (bike or cab) according to your choice and enter the pick-up and drop-off location.
- Confirm the location and the nearest rider will pick you up.
Sahara has an e-wallet named Sahara wallet for cashless transactions. Shara wallet can be topped up from various mobile banking apps.
Hoop rides were introduced in the arena of ride-hailing service providers to make daily travel faster, safer, comfortable and economical. Along with bike rides, it also offers taxi rides. The app was released in the Google Play Store on the 18th of July 2020. It is developed with quite a simple interface and has attracted more than ten thousand users.
Steps to Book a Ride:
- Install the Hoop rides app through the Google Play Store and sign up using your phone number.
- Click on the vehicle of your choice and enter the picking and dropping location.
- You will be presented with the estimated amount for your ride.
- Then you will get connected to the nearest rider and get picked up from your location.
You can pay for the ride in cash or online through e-wallets like eSewa, Khalti, IME pay and many more. The rider will pick you up using your location details; hence, you don’t need to disclose your mobile number to the rider.
If you find all other ride-hailing service providers expensive, ‘Cabtm’ might be the best option for you. Starred since January 2022, Cabtm is Nepal’s first fare-comparable ride-hailing service that features an exclusive bargaining model, where customers can bargain the fare of their choice. From the name itself, it is clear that it provides cab rides; however, it also provides bike rides.
Steps to Book a Ride:
- Download the Cabtm (passenger) app from Google Play Store.
- Sign up using your phone number.
- Select the vehicle of your choice and enter your start point and destination.
- The ‘captains’ (riders) will offer you a ride and share with you the cost of the ride.
- After accepting the offer, you will be picked up.
As mentioned earlier, you can bargain the amount with the captains like in inDriver. Payment can be made either in cash or through Khalti. Additionally, in the app, you can also add an emergency contact to call in case you are in trouble. This feature ensures the security of the customers.
Other Ride-Hailing Service Providers
Other than the above-mentioned apps, numerous other ride-hailing service providers need an honourable mention as well. Some other apps are Filili, Loozom, Super partner, Sajilo, Gyre, Motor ride, Carpoolworld, Onver Smart taxi, Ordaar, Sarathi, e-Cab etc. There were ride-hailing service providers like Eddy cab and Kawa rides as well which are no longer available.
More ride-hailing service providers emerging outside of Kathmandu as well. Some of them are Gaadi partner that provides service in 5 districts that are Butwal, Pokhara, Jhapa, Dharan and Narayanghat, Sadhana, Pokhara taxi etc. in Pokhara.