If you are looking for a standard card that allows you to spend wherever you go around the globe, then American Express Card (Amex) is a perfect option. It is one of the most valuable credit cards around the world which provides you with added advantages for making your expenses inside or outside the country.
American Express Cards (Amex) are issued by the global card giant American Express which allows the cardholder to enjoy various perks, reward points, cash back, and travel perks on making payments through it.
American Express issues and processes prepaid cards and credit cards. It has its own processing network for payment cards. In the field of electronic payments, American Express Card (Amex) is named among the pioneer card companies around the world.
Unlike its competitors Mastercard and Visa, American Express offers its own network processing services.
How does American Express Card work?
American Express Cards are popular credit cards in the world. The banks who issue Amex cards on behalf of American Express communicate to the company.
The merchant’s acquiring bank interacts with American Express as both the processor and the issuing bank. Additionally, American Express is the issuer that authorizes and authenticates the transaction.
Merchants pay a small fee to American Express for its processing network services. American Express has built a strong reputation in the financial services industry.
Benefits of Using American Express Card (Amex)
The American Express Cards (Amex) card is mostly used for credit and travel expenses. It offers a wide range of offers and discounts while traveling as it provides complimentary membership to airport lounges worldwide. The Amex card provides you with additional benefits like:
- Discounts on airport lounges
- Access to travel, medical and legal assistance
- Shop with EMV complaint chip-based technology card for enhanced security
- Supplementary cards for the spouse, children, and parents
American Express Card (Amex) is Available From Only One Bank in Nepal
American Express Card is available from only one bank in Nepal. Himalayan Bank is the sole issuer of the cards in Nepal. You can get your Amex card from Himalayan Bank and get to enjoy every facility like the other cardholders of the world.
These are the types of Amex cards that you can apply for at Himalayan Bank Limited:
1. Himalayan Bank American Express Gold International
This card provides you with a complimentary membership to airport lounges across the world, and enjoy offers on travel, shopping, dining, and entertainment. If you want to buy products from worldwide stores like Zara, you can use your Amex card and also enjoy some discounts on making purchases through your credit card. It is primarily useful for business persons who need to make frequent travels around the world.
It has some exclusive benefits like:
- Limit from USD 2,000 up to USD 5,000
- Travel, Medical & Legal Assistance across the world through American Express Global Assist
- Validity of 4 years
- Supplementary Cards for your Spouse, Children & Parents
- Discounted access to Radisson Lounge at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA), Kathmandu with both working & leisure facilities
- 3 years Complimentary Priority Pass Membership to the world’s largest airport lounge program which gives access to 800 VIP lounges across the world
This card is valid worldwide except in India.
2. Himalayan Bank American Express Gold Domestic
This card is valid in Nepal and India which you can use while shopping, dining, hotels, and spas and also make savings. This way, you can make luxury expenses in these areas and even enjoy discounted access to airport lounges.
To get this card, you must have a monthly income of at least 75% of the applied card limit. Also, you must hold a Super Premium Saving Account at Himalayan Bank Limited.
This card has a limit of NPR 100,000 to NPR 1,000,000.
Apart from that, Himalayan Bank is launching other Amex cards too:
- American Express Blue Card (Prepaid Card)
- American Express Green Card
How to get American Express Card (Amex) in Nepal?
Individuals with a regular income through salary, rent or business that suffice the limit requirements of the American Express Card (Amex) can apply for it through Himalayan Bank. The account holder must be at least 18 years of age.
HBL Super Premium Savings Account (SPSA) holders are also eligible to apply for Himalayan Bank American Express Gold Credit Card Domestic (NPR) limit of at least Rs. 100,000 by earmarking the minimum SPSA balance (equivalent to card limit) as security.
Then, they need to contact the bank with necessary documents like:
- Application form
- Salary certificate/ income verifying documents
- Latest Passport size photograph (1 copy)
- Copy of identification (Citizenship Certificate/Valid Passport)
- Address Verifying Documents (Utility bills like water/electricity/telephone, etc)
- For USD Gold Credit Card USD/EUR/GBP account and income source documents.
- BOD/Firm Minute if the company/firm account is to be linked to the card.
Why choose American Express Card (Amex) over other credit cards?
Well, there are plenty of reasons why some people prefer Amex cards to Mastercard and Visa. It is because of :
- Attractive discounts and offer arrangements around the world
- High minimum credit limit
- Card Protection (Insurance): Card Fraud (Lost and Stolen). NPR Card: $500 & USD Card: $1000
- Medical benefit (Basic) packages Through ISOS (International Save Our Souls– ISOS Dedicated line in India is +91 11 4060 8649)
- Complimentary membership to the Priority Pass Program which gives access to 700 VIP airport lounges across the world for International AMEX Cardholders
- Discounted access to the Radisson Lounge at Tribhuvan International Airport
- Using Amex cards, you can withdraw up to USD 200 per day from the International Amex card and NPR 24,000 (INR 15,000) from the domestic Amex card
If you are accustomed to using credit cards for luxury spending, American Express Card (Amex) can make your credit card experience more interesting and satisfying with its offers, discounts, and exclusive access to various high-value services. The account holders of Himalayan Bank can get this card through any branch. Unfortunately, other banks still do not have the facility of issuing Amex cards.