If you use Snapchat, you might have experienced the dopamine loop over scrolling through it and sending snaps to your friends. And yes, the streaks there keep might keep you indulged more often in the app. If you have installed Snapchat due to the peer pressure of your friends, or if you are also wondering why people prefer Snapchat over other social media, this article is for you.
Snapchat is an American application that was created by former students of Stanford University namely, Reggie Brown, Evan Spiegel, and Bobby Murphy, and was developed by Snap Inc. It was launched on 16th September 2011.
In the initial years, there were very few active users on Snapchat. However, the year 2014 became its turning point and the number of active users increased to 57 million. As of 2022, Snapchat has 493.7 million active users placing it in the list of top 5 social media with the biggest number of users. The app crosses over a billion downloads in the Google play store and has a rating of 4.1 stars with thousands of positive feedback.
Snapchat comprises 2 words, ‘Snap’ and ‘Chat‘. This means you can send snaps to your friend and chat with them the way you like. It was actually built as a very private app where there was access to the interaction between only two people at once. But, developers upgraded it and made it possible to interact with everyone at once by enabling users to create group chats, watch videos from different channels, short clips on the spotlight and also upload their own videos to the spotlight.
Also, you can click a snap or video using the lens of your choice, save it to memories, send it to your friends, or add it to the story or to the spotlight. Snapchat is one app with all these features.
5 Reasons why people prefer Snapchat over other social media
There are a bunch of reasons for people wanting to use Snapchat more than other apps.
- Super easy to use: Snapchat is an app that is extremely easy to use. Clicking snap, sending them to your friends, or adding them to the story and spotlight is a doodle and is as quick as a flash. It’s not like other apps where you need to tap on numerous buttons just to post something. Adding a caption, music, and stickers to your snap is easy as well.
- Ensures privacy: Snapchat cares about the privacy of its users, unlike other apps. You will get to see if your friends take screen records or screenshots of your chat and snap. Additionally, you can even see if someone replayed your snap or saved it in chat, you can hide your private and confidential snaps in ‘My eyes only‘. All these features of Snapchat will secure your privacy while other social media apps don’t.
- Less judgemental: In the Snapchat spotlight, one can not comment on the photo of other people or share. So, even if you are being judged by people you won’t get any clue; which means you won’t have to feel low seeing people judging you in the comments.
- Makes you feel more social: You can share a glimpse of and brag about every small happening to your friends. You can indeed do this on other social media as well; however, doing so will be really chaotic in other apps. Imagine sending the same messages to everyone in your friend list and posting every small happening in the story and feed. This will be really chaotic.
- Advertisement-free: Evey app, be it a gaming app, learning app, or social media; almost all of them include advertisement one way or another. While you are watching videos on YouTube, Facebook, and other apps, advertisements pop out of nowhere. This doesn’t happen in Snapchat as it is completely advertisement free. Maybe it will include some in the future but right now no ads are seen on Snapchat which is why it comes under the preference of people these days.
- Parental controls: The age threshold of Snapchat is 12+. It gives access to the parents to link their children’s accounts to their own. It doesn’t let parents literally see the snaps, memories, or the kids. Instead, it makes it possible for parents to keep an eye on their children’s friend list and time spent on the app.
Just a couple of months ago that is in June 2022, Snapchat introduced Snapchat+ where users can take a subscription to the app and get access to many additional features. And within just a few months of its launch, Snapchat+ reached a million users.
To take a subscription to the app, you need to go to your profile, tap on the Snapchat+ banner just below your name and choose a subscription. As soon as you take a subscription, you will get a 7 days free trial. Subscriptions you can get for Snapchat+ are $3.99 USD per month, $21.99 USD for 6 months, or $39.99 USD per year.
Features of Snapchat+
- You can make your replies even more visible to snap stars.
- You can pick an emoji and dedicate them to your friends so that they can see it after viewing your snap.
- You get access to new Bitmoji backgrounds such as gleaming gold and a beach paradise.
- You can select a new app icon for the app.
- You can add a new profile badge in display to show that you are a Snapchat+ user.
- You can see your friends’ location history for the last 24 hours.
- Like you can see if your friends replayed your snap, and you can see if someone rewatched your story.
- You can also pin a friend as ‘#1 best friend’.
So now you have known the reasons why people prefer Snapchat over other social media apps, you can take a quick check onto yourself- Why you downloaded the app. And those who have not used Snapchat might have known about the privacy and other features that Snapchat allows (that may lack in many social media apps). Are you a fan of Snapchat? Which of the feature do you like the most about Snapchat? You can share with us in the comment section such that we might also get one more reason to use it.
Also Read: vivo V25e with 4500mAh Battery, 44W Fast Charging Launched In Nepal